Legal affairs vice chancellor search under way
April 4, 2013
A 14-member search and screen committee has been formed to identify and select candidates for the position of vice chancellor for legal affairs at UW–Madison.
The position, most recently titled director of Administrative Legal Services, is being reinstated to its past standing as a vice chancellor.
Interim Chancellor David Ward says the job requires an individual with a breadth of experience in legal management, administration and litigation.
"Comprehensive research institutions are adjusting to an ever-changing and increasingly complex environment and the need for outstanding counsel has never been greater,” Ward says. “Reinstating the vice chancellor title should help UW-Madison attract the kind of candidates we need for this important position.”
The principal duties of the job include supervising and working with the university's team of attorneys and developing and managing a strategic plan for the university's legal work. The position has oversight of conflicts of interest and ethics issues, the university’s business operations and transactions, health and medical malpractice law, employment relations law, special investigative assignments, compliance issues, including ADA, athletics and NCAA matters and HIPAA privacy and security, among other critical issues.
Job responsibilities include general oversight and planning, strategic direction, acting as a liaison with state and UW System council, coordination with external counsel, staff development and outreach and other activities.
The committee, chaired by UW Law School Professor Mark Sidel. includes:
- Irwin Goldman, professor of horticulture
- Donald Downs, professor of political science
- Marwa Bassiouni, senior administrative program specialist, School of Medicine and Public Health
- Julia Lewitt, undergraduate student
- Lisa Walters, program assistant, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
- Charles Hoslet, executive director of strategic partnerships, University Relations
- Tom Stafford, general counsel, UW System
- Gordon Ridley, dean’s office, School of Medicine and Public Health
- Michael Falk, general counsel, WARF
- Lisa Wilson, senior university legal counsel, Administrative Legal Services
- Julie Underwood, dean, School of Education
- Sean Frazier, deputy athletic director, Intercollegiate Athletics
Lisa Rutherford previously served as director before moving to Amherst College in February. Michael Weiden is serving as interim director.
Applications and nominations must be received by May 12 for full consideration, though later submissions may also be considered.